I teach you how to create a Ubuntu Live USB Flash drive with just Ubuntu Live CD ISO image and Oracle Virtual Box. No CD burning is required. All you need to do is use the Ubuntu ISO CD image and Oracle Virtual Box to Boot into Ubuntu Live CD Image. This will save you time and money since you no longer have to burn Ubuntu onto a CD to install Ubuntu onto your PC or boot into the Live CD.Â Using a flash drive is also faster and a lot quieter then starting your computer from a Live CD. Plus, not all laptops have optical CD and DVD drives these days like Netbooks and servers, but most have USB ports.
1. Make sure your computer can boot from a USB drive before you start this tutorial otherwise you will be wasting your time.
2. Make your virtual machine in Virtual box by clicking the new button, and follow the wizard.
3. Go to your settings for your newly created Virtual Machine and mount your Ubuntu 10.04 LTS live CD ISO in the CD setting.
4. Mount your USB device in the USB section of your virtual machine.
5. Start Virtual box Ubuntu machine.
6. Click “Try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS” button.
7. When Ubuntu is done loading, go to System > Administration > Start up disc creator.
8. Pick your USB drive and pick the partition you want to install Ubuntu onto.
9. Wait for your bootable flash drive to finish being made.
Congratulations, you now have a bootable liveÂ flash drive with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it. You might need to configure your BIOS or start up manager in your BIOS to start your computer from a USB Flash drive.