Truecrypt software drive/file encryption has an option to use key files to protect your data. Think of key files as a key to opening your files. Without a key file, you can’t open a password protected drive in TrueCrypt. If you combine a key file with a good password, the hacker have a more difficult time opening your files since he needs two things to open your file.
1. Check Use key files and click key files button when making your password.
2. Check use key files and click generate random key files button in the next window.
3. Move your mouse randomly, and click generate and save key file
4. Click add key files button.
5. Cick the key file you made click open button.
6. Click ok
7. Click next
8. When mountinging the drive, click check key fies and click key files button.
9. Click add files…
10. Open the key file for the drive.
11. Press OK
12. Type in your password and click OK.
Congratulation, you made a custom key file for your password protected TrueCrypt virtual drive. Be sure to back up your key file in a secure location. If you lose the key file, you will also lose your files.