You downloaded a .vmdk file from the internet, but you learned VMware player can not play it. The best alternative is to play the virtual machine file with Sun’s Free VirtualBox virtualization program. However, you need to mount it in VirtualBox first.
Tutorial for mounting a VMware VMDK file in Sun VirtualBox
1. Start up Sun virtual box and press New Button on the Window.
2. Type a name and pick operating system type and version from the drop down menu box.
3. Adjust how much RAM that is required to run the Operating System for the VMDK file by sliding the slider left or right. You can usually find the info on the VMDK file website.
4. Pick use existing hard drive and click the folder icon.
5. Click the Add button on the top of the window that pop uped.
6. Find your VMDK file and click Open Button.
7. Press the select button at the bottom of the window.
8. Look over the summary, and Click Finish.
9. Pick your Virtual machine and Click start on main window.
10. log into your OS
11. You are done. Happy Virtualizing .