Learn how to clean install Windows XP Pro tutorial
Learn how to do a clean installation of Windows XP Professionals operating system on your computer by following my step by step tutorial with large screenshot pictures on how to clean install Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 (SP3). It is recommended to install Windows XP first before you install Windows Vista, 7, or Linux. Also, back up your important files like photos, documents before you install Windows XP Pro SP3.
1.Put the Windows XP install CD in your computer. You may need to set your computer to start from the CD drive by setting it up in the BIOS. Usually your computer searches to see if it has a boot floppy or CD before it starts the hard drive.
2.Press F6 if you need to install a SCSI drive BIOS otherwise ignore the message if you are using a IDE, SATA drive.
3. Press the Enter Key on your keyboard to begin the Windows XP install.
4. Read over the license and Press F8 on the keyboard to agree to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
5. Pick the hard drive you want to partition and format to install Windows to, and press C Key on keyboard.
6. Type the size of the partition you want to make. I recommend having a partition of at least 10 GB or more for Windows since when you install more programs on Windows. It will take up more space. Press Enter key on keyboard.
7. Press Enter on the drive called C:
8. Pick Format the partition using the NTFS file system, and Press Enter, and wait for your hard drive to finish formatting, and copying the Windows XP system files.
9. Your computer should automatically restart (Don't press the keyboard to start the CD) and show a nicer graphical installation Window for Windows XP.
10.Eventually, you will see a Windows XP Professional Setup Window appear. Generally, you can just click the Next button. But, if your regional language is not English(united States) click customize button, and if you are not using a US keyboard layout click Details.
11. Type in your Name and Organizational name, and click the next button.
12.Type in your Windows XP 25 character product key which you can usually find on your CD, on a yellow sticker on the back of your Windows CD folder/envelope, the CD box, or on the side of the computer. You do not need to hold down the shift key or Caps lock key. All letters are capitalize as you type them in the text box.Click Next button
13. Type in your computer name and administrator password, and click on the Next button on the window.
14. Usually the date and time are correct if not then set your date and time to the correct time. Pick the correct time zone for where you live. Click Next button.
15. The Typical settings for Network Settings should be fine, so click Next. You can always change the settings after you finish installing Windows XP.
16. Pick Workgroup if your computer is not part of a domain. It is rare for a home computer to be part of a domain. You can always change the type of computer in Windows XP.
17. Wait for the computer to finish copying files. Your PC should restart automatically. Do not press the keyboard to start from CD.
18. Press OK on the Display Settings pop-up window "To improve the appearance of visual elements, Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution."
19. Press OK button on Monitor Settings Window, so that "Windows will adjust your screen resolution resolution. if you can read this text."
19A. A welcome centre screen may appear. Read the instructions and follow them, and click the next button on the lower right. It is pretty well explained on the Welcome centre screen, so I won't explain it. It just asks you how you want Automatic Updates to be set up on your computer, the type of Internet access you use like LAN (Local Area Network) or DSL (Digital Subscriber Line), register XP online, the names of the user accounts you want to make for Windows.
20.Wait for Windows to finish loading and type in your administrator password you made during the Windows install process. Press the green arrow key.
21.Wait for XP to finish loading. Go on the Internet, and update your version with Windows Explorer web browser of at http://update.microsoft.com/
22.Install an antivirus product on your computer. I recommend Avast which you can download at http://www.avast.com/. It is free, easy to use, and stop a lot of viruses.
23.If you need a more robust firewall then the one built into Windows I recommend Comodo firewall at http://www.comodo.com/
25.Install an anti-spyware product like http://www.superantispyware.com/. It is better to use paid anti-spyware since it comes with an active shield and automatic updating.
26.Activate your versions of Windows before 30 days, or Windows will be disabled and you need to activate Windows after 30 days.